Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What's In A Blog?

Hello. 
Welcome to my blog.
   I've been wanting to start a blog for a while now, so I'm happy I'm finally doing it! I had a couple blogs in high school (a livejournal and one on blogspot) but I haven't blogged in years, and I want this blog to be a little different than my previous ones.
   I've been hesitant to start a blog because I'm in school studying to become a teacher, and teachers are supposed to have limited online presence, keep things professional and such, but I think it'll be okay. I don't expect anything outrageous or scandalous to show up here. As long as I keep it respectable and don't talk about sex, politics, or religion it should be fine.
   The weird thing about writing your first blog post is that you have to address somebody, and assume that somebody on the internet will eventually read this, but it feels odd to me because I'm not sure who I want to tell about my blog just yet.
   The name of this blog has kind of a story to it, but not really. As I said before, I try to keep a low online profile. I like the internet (Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) I just don't really want to be on it. So, a while ago I made a twitter account - not for posting but for following other people - and I called it theotherdani thinking I might use it to tweet for various contests and things, and maybe set up another one to actually use, but I just never got into the whole Twitter thing and so theotherdani is my only Twitter account, and I kind of liked the name. I used to hang out in a group of friends where there was a boy Danny and a girl Dani, and so my one friend started calling me GirlDani and it kind of stuck as a nickname. So I became GirlDani/The Other Dani. One of my friends started calling me The Better Dani as a mean joke to the other Danny. Also, I think this blog will be a place where I share things that I don't necessarily share elsewhere, so I will essentially be The Other Dani - the one some people might not know. I have a post saved to my computer that's kind of about that. I will probably post that later this week because while this whole blog thing is new and exciting I'll probably be really into it.
   Maybe I'll tell you a bit about myself and a bit about what I like about blogs/which blogs I like/what I want this blog to be. Sound good? Okay.
  I am in my early 20s, I live in Mid-Western Canada, and I am a University student. I like to read books. I am currently doing a Bachelor of Education Degree with a major in Secondary English and a minor in Special Education; and simultaneously doing a Bachelor of Arts in English. After this year, I have one year left of school and I really have no life plans after that. I love my family and my friends and my boyfriend. I love taking pictures. I love music - listening to it, going to shows, playing guitar (I'm getting better at it), singing, playing piano. I love going to movies and watching movies at home. I love writing. I love travelling but I haven't done much of it because I'm young and I'm in school. One of my biggest dreams for the future is to travel around the world. My boyfriend and I are sort of planning and saving for a trip to Europe when I graduate, so hopefully that happens. 
  Some other blogs I love are: 
Clever Nettle - I love her photographs and stories of travelling, and I love her shop although I've never purchased anything from it - not yet, anyway.
Color Me Katie - I love her photos and especially her posts that are like "things that make me happy" because they make my day!
Booklicious - I love books and am very interested in the publishing industry and all things book-related so this blog is one of my favourites.
I love these girls' blogs - Owlssayhooot, The Hayleylujah Chorus, and Oh Hey Kristina. We're close to the same age, and we like a lot of the same things. 
I also really love this guys' blog because he is one of my favourite authors and talks about the publishing industry a lot and he's very smart. Yes, I am a Nerdfighter...more on that later for those of you (potential/imaginary readers) who don't know what that is... or who do, I guess.
I am also a big fan of PostsecretThe Sartorialist and Hyperbole and a Half. I love how funny Hyperbole and a Half is but I don't think my blog will be like that, and I love the photos on the Sartorialist but I especially love the insights into the people's lives and stories.

  So, I want to make this blog a place where all my interests culminate - books, publishing, writing, reading, music, bands, fashion, art, humour, photography, and the people in my life. 
Sorry for the long first post. Since nobody reads this yet I figured it doesn't matter how tedious it is and I wanted it to be a good introduction to the blog. 
  If you like the same things as me, or if you know me and I've shown you this blog, you should follow it!
Bye for now,
       Dani


No comments:

Post a Comment