Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Harry Potter!

Guess what the theme of this post is! HARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTER!

woo hoo!

First, sorry about the lack of posts this week. I've been working on this huge assignment that's been totally consuming me but it's done now, so that's a relief, although temporary. (There are only a couple weeks left in the semester, though! phew.)

So, I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I love the books and the films and everything and I love when the new films come out because it brings back the excitement. So, even though I've had a busy and stressful week seeing this crop up on the internet first thing this week made me happy. 


I've been watching a lot of clips of promo interviews online. (I love Emma Watson!) and I've just been thinking about it a lot and talking about it a lot (probably an annoying amount to my boyfriend and people close to me.)
    I am going with my boyfriend and sister on Saturday and I am very excited! Here are a bunch of pictures that have cropped up on various tumblrs this week that I like. (I don't have a tumblr, so I'm compiling them here. Sorry if this post is annoying to anybody. The pictures at the start are sentimental/cute and the ones at the end are funny, so they're probably worth looking at even if you don't like Harry Potter.) 
   Then, if you're interested click through to read my thoughts on books vs. films, my order of favourite films and books from favourite to least favourite and etc. Okay, enjoy! and Happy Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 week!

                                        
                                               I love how they match!
At the London Premiere




*SPOILERS (of the books)*
    Obviously the books are better than the films, but they are totally different things so I still love them no matter what. Seriously, no matter how bad the films are, I still like them because they're Harry Potter! So even if the acting is terrible and the story doesn't make sense, they are still better than most other movies because of the story and the characters and the world. Also, I think the movies have encouraged more people to read the books so that is a good thing in my opinion.
  Of course there are things I don't like about the films (the exclusion of the Marauders story, the burning down of the Burrow, the general fast pace and confusion, leaving out details so people who haven't read the books don't know what's going on, etc.) but I still like them, and I'm excited that they're making Deathly Hallows into two movies because it will (hopefully) mean less stuff gets left out. There are some details that they left out of earlier films thinking they weren't important, and I'm anxious to see how they're going to explain those things in the last films. (like the mirror Sirius gave Harry which becomes super important in the last book, for example.)
   When I first heard they were splitting the last book I had an idea of where I wanted the split to occur but now I'm not so sure it would be a good idea. It was after Ron rejoined them and they went to visit Xenophilius Lovegood and asked him about the symbol and he says "do you mean the symbol of the deathly hallows?" I thought it would be a good cliffhanger to have him all creepy and weird-looking, close up, saying that line, which ties in the title and leaves the audience wondering. and the conflict of the first part (ron leaving) is resolved at that point, and then the final battle could take up a lot of the second film.
but now I don't think that's a good idea for a couple reasons, and I don't think it will happen because: it's not enough of a cliffhanger to piss people off/make them want to watch the next one right away, and also this director loves his big action sequences so I'm guessing the final battle's going to last like..the entire second movie pretty much. So I'm thinking the split will happen later.

It's been a while since I've read Deathly Hallows and I don't think I'm going to get to re-read it before Saturday but I have a pretty good idea in my head of what I want the movie to be and I don't realistically expect it to meet my expectations but I'm still excited.

Okay: fave books and movies in order.

books: 7, 3, 6, 4, 1, 2, 5.

films: 6, 2, 1, 4, 5, 3.

Deathly Hallows is the best because it ties it all together so wonderfully. Prisoner of Azkaban was my favourite book when I was a kid, I read it soooo many times. It came out when I was ten and it was my favourite of the first 3 books. (the fourth book changed the series, so I group it right in the middle.) so, Hallows is my favourite of the last three and Azkaban is my favourite of the first three because of the mysteries, the twists, and how everything ties together at the end. I love the Marauder's story, the time turner story, saving Sirius and Buckbeak at the end. I love everything about it. You may have noticed that Azkaban was my least favourite film. Not a coincidence. I still thought it was cool and I liked the time turning stuff and how they did that, but they just left so much out that I was dissapointed.

Soo this turned into quite a lengthy post. Sorry if it was boring to anybody. I actually planned on talking more about Harry Potter if you can believe it. I wanted to talk about some of my favourite characters/moments/quotes, why I love the series, etc. And I wanted to tell you that I took a university Literature course on Harry Potter two years ago! and tell you a little bit about the papers I wrote. But that didn't happen, so maybe another time. (deathly hallows pt. 2? haha)

Maybe I will post a review of the film on here next week. (probably it'll just be gushing, not really critiquing if I do that.)

My blog isn't the only thing I've been neglecting this week. I am sooo behind on NaNoWriMo that I don't think I'm going to win this year, but I won't give up.

I'm a little embarassed to post my low word count on here but maybe it will motivate me to write more this weekend. If you've read this far, leave some comments motivating me to get at 'er.

NaNoWriMo Word Count: 14179.
still an incredible feat for 3 weeks, and I am proud of it even if I don't finish. :)

Question for the Comments: How would you rank the Harry Potter books and films? Which is your favourite or each and why?

1 comment:

  1. I have nothing worthwhile to say about Harold Pottington. However, I always like seeing people who are excited. This pleases me.

    ReplyDelete