Thursday, November 4, 2010

NaNoWriMo

What is NaNoWriMo?
     National Novel Writing Month. It's an event where lots of people attempt to write 50,000 words of a novel in the month of November. It has a website where you can sign up for free and update your word count and become writing buddies with other people and encourage each other and help each other, and there are pep talks from people who have actually written and published novels. And it's really awesome.
     I did it last year and won (meaning I wrote 50K words in the month.) I wrote a young adult novel that was sort of a coming-of-age/falling-in-love/finding-yourself story, set in Saskatchewan.
     This year, I don't really want to tell you what I am writing so I am going to take a page out of this girl's book (haha, novel puns) and describe my novel using things that already exist. (because it's not that original.)  My novel is Looking for Alaska + The Bermudez Triangle + Gilmore Girls.
     I'm pretty excited about it. I'm not sure if I'll win this year. I think I probably will, but this week I haven't been writing much because I've been so busy with school and work. And November's probably going to continue like that. Last year when I tried this for the first time I was taking four courses and working 4 days a week.
Now I am taking five courses with heavier work loads, and working 6 days a week. So....we'll see how it goes.
     Also, my sister posted on her Facebook today that she is going to try to do NaNoWriMo for the first time, so that is exciting! She is starting 4 days in, so she's at a disadvantage but hopefully she can do it!

Why do NaNoWriMo?
     If you want the opinions of people more elequant than I, check out this or this.
If you want my reasons, here they are: (in no particular order and not too well thought-out.)
     I really like writing but I never make time for it. So for me, NaNoWriMo is a good excuse to dedicate some time to writing. I am lazy and a procrastinator and I don't have the best time management skills so having to look at the stats telling me I am "three days behind" only 3 days into the project is a pretty good incentive for me to get my ass in gear and write. And having to post my low word count on here for all of you to see is shameful and embarrassing. Not that I'm getting guilted into writing or anything, because really I don't care what the internet thinks of my ability to write 50k words in 30 days. But November is a month I dedicate to working on something important to me, when I don't often make time to do it otherwise. So I disappoint myself if I'm not making time for it. Wow, this is rambly and not making too much sense.
       I'm just gonna stop here, and go work on my novel until I go to work.

       If you are doing NaNoWriMo and want to become my "writing buddy" my profile is dani789 (my birthday is July 1989...so...07/89.)  Or if you aren't doing it and you just want to follow my progress somewhere other than this blog (there's pretty graphs and stuff) here is my profile page.

      Okay. That was the promised NaNoWriMo blog post. I hope it was all you hoped for and more. Now, time to write!

NaNoWriMo Word Count So Far: 2,370 (but I'm going to write right now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment