Monday, January 10, 2011

DJ Earworm makes Pop Music Into Art

Around this time last year I came across DJ Earworm online. I downloaded and fell in love with his mashup of top pop songs from 2009. This weekend I found the mashup on my iTunes and remembered it, and it made me want to check if there was a new one for 2010. And there was!
    I don't really listen to a lot of pop music and I tend to think of it as superficial, but DJ Earworm makes it into something artistic.
     What I really love about these mashups is how he (I'm assuming DJ Earworm is a dude but I don't know so I'm just gonna say he) ...how he finds meaning not just in the individual songs but how he is able to find an overarching theme for the year, and (because it's pop music) it is a very positive message.

DJ Earworm says of his 2009 Mashup: "This year in the charts, so many of the pop songs this year seem to tell the same story: Yeah, we’ve been through a lot, but right now we’re gonna celebrate with music and dance, and it’s gonna be ok. With that spirit in mind, I invite you to…BLAME IT ON THE POP"



Of 2010, he says: "In 2010, pop has gone into serious all-out party mode. In 2009 the music was encouraging us to pick ourselves back up after being knocked down again, and to rock out to some great dance music while you’re at it. This year’s music tells us to keep going now that we’re up and having fun...It's a great thing about music that you can leave your worries and lose yourself in the moment...So with that in mind I urge you all please...DON'T STOP THE POP."
  

Books Read So Far: 1
Currently Reading: Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting his new mashup! It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete