Friday, April 22, 2011

Music Nostalgia

*Sorry I didn't update all week. I just haven't been feeling too inspired lately, and had a surprisingly busy week considering all I have going on right now is working part time. I was planning to catch up on some blog posts this weekend but a family emergency has taken me out of the province at the last minute so not sure I will be able to update much, but I wrote a little something in the car today (Don't worry, I wasn't driving) and I thought I'd share it. Also I have a book review coming probably next week and I will give some book updates next post but not right now. Anyways, here's the thing I wrote. *


     Lately I've been really disenchanted with music, which is so sad.
     I've been driving a car with no CD player, just a tape player, so I've been listening to the radio in my car, and listening to it at work. Which sucks. I only hear Top 40 songs which is like chewing a stick of sugar-free gum when what you need is a hearty steak. (Can steaks be hearty? I'm a vegetarian. The metaphor still works, I think.)
     In my actual life (meaning, separate from work and driving my car) I've just been listening to stuff that's so familiar it's almost boring. (as is evidenced by my latest blog post, in which the playlist is comprised mostly of songs I loved in high school.)
     Also, I spilled alfredo sauce in my bag a couple weeks ago and my iPod (Jive Maestro) suffered so I don't like listening to it now because the button sticks/doesn't work and it's annoying.
     I haven't really discovered any bands lately, either. I haven't browsed iTunes' store to see what's free or cheap or just what's new, and I used to do that at least weekly. I haven't bought any music (like physical CDs) since my favourite CD store closed down. It was the best. It was in my end of the city, in the mall I worked in for 3 years. I'd been going there since high school, I knew people who worked there, and they had stuff I liked and they could order stuff in but now it's closed. There's only 2 places to really buy CDs in my city now, and both are inconvenient to get to, expensive, and just don't have that intimate, personal, community vibe that the old place had. So that's a bummer.
     I haven't been searching stuff out lately. I miss the feeling I used to get when I would hear a song by a band I'd never heard of and just love it. And immediately after hearing it, buy or download the album.
    Like Figurines. or Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. Or going back to high school, Regina Spektor or The Shins.
     Some of my favourite bands are bands that nobody introduced me to, I just discovered them. And no, this isn't some hipster-y "I only like bands I discover before they become popular" thing. Because I'll admit I didn't know about The Shins until after Garden State came out, but just that sense of personal discovery and importance a song or band can give you.
     I love when people recommend music to me (I especially love when people make me CDs or playlists...usually if you just spam your facebook page with music links I will pass them by, but if it's personal I like it) but there's something so awesome about discovering a song for yourself. It's your song, and you can share it with whoever you want and associate it with whatever you want. Okay, now this is sounding hipster-y and snobby.
    The point is that I want to get back into music. It's a hobby and a passion and I feel so bored with it lately and I need some new band or song to obsess over. No recommendations, please. (Kidding, of course. I always welcome recommendations...even with all I just said.)

 "What I wake up I look into the mirror.
I can see a clearer vision.
I should start livin' today
'cause today is gonna be the day...is gonna be the day."
-"The Day", The Roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment